dog cat glacial ridge

Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday - Closed 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Saturday: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Emergency Services

Care Credit

Potential Pet Poisons

This article is going to outline five of the top categories for pet poisons that you should be aware of.

 1. FOODS (specifically chocolate, xylitol and grapes/raisins)
Certain types of chocolate are very toxic to dogs. In general, the darker, more bitter, and more concentrated the chocolate is, the more dangerous it is. Many candies/sugarless gums contain xylitol, which is a sweetener. Even in small amounts, it can cause a life-threatening drop in blood sugar or liver failure. Grapes/raisins are often overlooked as a potential danger, but they can lead to kidney failure.

2. INSECTICIDES (sprays, bait stations, and spot on flea/tick treatments)
Ingestion of insecticides and pesticides (especially those containing organophosphates) can be life-threatening to dogs, even when ingested in small amounts. And while spot-on treatments work well in dogs, they can be very toxic to cats if not applied properly. Cat owners should read labels carefully, as those containing Pyrethrins or pyrethroids are severely toxic if ingested or directly applied to the cat.

3. MOUSE & RAT POISON (rodenticides)
There are many types of mouse and rat poisons, all with varying active ingredients, which cause different symptoms in our pets. Depending on what type is ingested, poisoning can cause internal bleeding, brain swelling, kidney failure, or even severe vomiting/bloat.

4. HUMAN NSAIDS & ACETAMINOPHEN MEDICATION
Commonly known as Advil, Aleve, Motrin - when ingested by dogs can cause stomach ulcers or potentially kidney failure. Veterinary anti-inflammatories like Rimadryl and Previcox can have the same effect. Tylenol can lead to severe liver failure. In cats, a SINGLE Tylenol tablet can be FATAL.

5. HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS – sprays, detergents, polishes
Certain cleaners pose a high risk because of their corrosive nature, including: toilet bowl cleaners, lye, drain cleaners, rust removers, and calcium/lime removers.

If you have questions about other potential hazards or if your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, please give us a call at Glacial Ridge Veterinary Clinic at 320-634-3558. The Pet Poison Helpline is also available 24/7 to help pet owners deal with a poisoned pet – 1-800-213-6680.